Try your hand at the SSAT and ISEE...
Think scoring superb percentiles on the Verbal Reasoning portion of the SSAT or ISEE is all about cramming new vocabulary words? Take our mini-quiz and see what other variables come into play (hint: traps galore!).
After taking our quiz, reference the analysis key below to get a breakdown of what kind of preparation goes into a top score on these tests.
Verbal Reasoning Mini-Quiz
Questions 1-4 were selected from official SSAT tests and questions 5-8 from official ISEE tests. Follow the directions and select the correct synonym, complete the analogy, or select the word/word pair that best completes the sentence.
1. Choose the appropriate synonym for MAR:
2. Choose the appropriate synonym for FOUNDER:
3. Complete the analogy: Monarch is to migrate as
A grizzly is to hibernate
B king is to travel
C salmon is to spawn
D kangaroo is to range
E squirrel is to climb
4. Complete the analogy: Flax is to linen as
A flour is to bread
B ore is to metal
C ice is to steam
D sheep is to wool
E lime is to cement
5. Choose the appropriate synonym for FAMINE:
6. Choose the appropriate synonym for CONSENSUS:
7. Every Saturday Bobby would attempt to cook an elaborate brunch, for all practical purposes ------- his parents' tiny kitchen for the morning.
8. Had the lawyer been able to demonstrate the ------- of her claims and avoid ------- procedural missteps, she might have won her case.
A aptitude ... beneficial
B candor ... evident
C potential ... regrettable
D veracity ... humiliating
1. B / 2. A / 3. A / 4. A / 5. C / 6. A / 7. C / 8. D
You see? These tests are really tricky and require pattern recognition more than anything else. We’ll keep expanding your kids’ vocabularies, but we are mostly focused on getting them to know how to navigate the ins and outs of the SSAT and ISEE.